DescriptionAfter the Soviets suppressed the Revolution in Hungary in 1956, approximately 200,000 Hungarians fled the country. Many Hungarian refugees came to New Jersey, some of whom were housed at Camp Kilmer, a military post near New Brunswick. Many members of the nearby Rutgers University community worked to help the refugees. In this copy of a letter, Marguerite L. Richards, Chair of the Department of Romance Languages at Douglass College, offers the services of the members of her department to assist with the refugees. These services included teaching English-as-a-second-language skills, providing transportation, donating books, sewing, and cooking.