Staff View
A probabilistic assessment of sea level variations within the Last Interglacial stage

Descriptive

TypeOfResource
Text
TitleInfo
Title
A probabilistic assessment of sea level variations within the Last Interglacial stage
Name (type = personal)
NamePart (type = family)
Kopp
NamePart (type = given)
Robert E.
Affiliation
Earth and Planetary Sciences, Rutgers University
Role
RoleTerm (authority = marcrt); (type = text)
author
Name (type = personal)
NamePart (type = family)
Simons
NamePart (type = given)
Frederik J.
Affiliation
Princeton University
Role
RoleTerm (authority = marcrt); (type = text)
author
Name (type = personal)
NamePart (type = family)
Mitrovica
NamePart (type = given)
Jerry X.
Affiliation
Harvard University
Role
RoleTerm (authority = marcrt); (type = text)
author
Name (type = personal)
NamePart (type = family)
Maloof
NamePart (type = given)
Adam C.
Affiliation
Princeton University
Role
RoleTerm (authority = marcrt); (type = text)
author
Name (type = personal)
NamePart (type = family)
Oppenheimer
NamePart (type = given)
Michael
Affiliation
Princeton University
Role
RoleTerm (authority = marcrt); (type = text)
author
Name (authority = RutgersOrg-Department); (type = corporate)
NamePart
Earth and Planetary Sciences
Name (authority = RutgersOrg-School); (type = corporate)
NamePart
School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) (New Brunswick)
Genre (authority = RULIB-FS)
Article, Refereed
Note (type = publisherStatement)
This is the authors’ preprint version of the manuscript: 23 January 2013. Originally submitted 18 September 2012. Accepted for publication in Geophysical Journal International, published by Oxford University Press.
Note (type = peerReview)
Peer reviewed
OriginInfo
DateCreated (encoding = w3cdtf); (keyDate = yes); (qualifier = exact)
2013
Publisher
Oxford University Press
Abstract
The Last Interglacial (LIG) stage (ca. 130–115 ka) provides a relatively recent example of a world with both poles characterized by greater-than- Holocene temperatures similar to those expected later in this century under a range of greenhouse gas emission scenarios. Previous analyses inferred that LIG mean global sea level (GSL) peaked 6–9 m higher than today (Kopp et al. 2009; Dutton & Lambeck 2012). Here, we extend our earlier work to perform a probabilistic assessment of sea level variability within the LIG highstand. Using the terminology for probability employed in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) assessment reports, we find it extremely likely (95% probability) that the paleo-sea level record allows resolution of at least two intra-LIG sea level peaks and likely (67% probability) that the magnitude of low-to-high swings exceeded 4 m. Moreover, it is likely that there was a period during the LIG in which GSL rose at a 1000-year average rate exceeding 3 m/ky, but unlikely (33% probability) that the rate exceeded 7 m/ky and extremely unlikely (5% probability) that it exceeded 11 m/ky. These rate estimates can provide insight into rates of Greenland and/or Antarctic melt under climate conditions partially analogous to those expected in the twenty- first century.
PhysicalDescription
InternetMediaType
application/pdf
Extent
8 p.
Subject (authority = LCSH)
Topic
Sea level
Subject (authority = local)
Topic
Last Interglacial
Subject (authority = local)
Topic
Eemian
Subject (authority = LCSH)
Topic
Ice sheets--Antarctica
Subject (authority = LCSH)
Topic
Ice sheets--Greenland
Extension
DescriptiveEvent
Type
Grant
AssociatedEntity
Role
Funder
Name
National Science Foundation
AssociatedEntity
Role
Originator
Name
Robert E. Kopp
AssociatedObject
Type
Grant number
Name
ARC-1203415
Extension
DescriptiveEvent
Type
Grant
AssociatedEntity
Role
Funder
Name
National Science Foundation
AssociatedEntity
Role
Originator
Name
Frederik J. Simons
AssociatedObject
Type
Grant number
Name
EAR-1150145
Language
LanguageTerm (authority = ISO 639-3:2007); (type = text)
English
Identifier (type = hdl)
http://hdl.rutgers.edu/1782.1/rucore30119200001.Manuscript.000067061
RelatedItem (type = host)
TitleInfo
Title
Kopp, Robert E.
Identifier (type = local)
rucore30119200001
Location
PhysicalLocation (authority = marcorg); (displayLabel = Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey)
NjNbRU
Genre (authority = NISO JAV)
Accepted Manuscript (AM)
Extension
DescriptiveEvent
Type
Citation
DateTime (encoding = w3cdtf)
2013
AssociatedObject
Type
Journal
Relationship
Has part
Name
Geophysical Journal International
Identifier (type = volume and issue)
193(2)
Reference (type = digital)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/gji/ggt029
Detail
711-716
Identifier (type = doi)
doi:10.7282/T3GB22F9
Genre (authority = ExL-Esploro)
Accepted Manuscript
Back to the top

Rights

RightsHolder (type = personal)
Name
FamilyName
Kopp
GivenName
Robert E.
Role
Copyright holder
RightsHolder (type = personal)
Name
FamilyName
Simons
GivenName
Frederik J.
Role
Copyright holder
RightsHolder (type = personal)
Name
FamilyName
Mitrovica
GivenName
Jerry X.
Role
Copyright holder
RightsHolder (type = personal)
Name
FamilyName
Maloof
GivenName
Adam C.
Role
Copyright holder
RightsHolder (type = personal)
Name
FamilyName
Oppenheimer
GivenName
Michael
Role
Copyright holder
RightsDeclaration (AUTHORITY = FS); (ID = rulibRdec0004)
Copyright for scholarly resources published in RUcore is retained by the copyright holder. By virtue of its appearance in this open access medium, you are free to use this resource, with proper attribution, in educational and other non-commercial settings. Other uses, such as reproduction or republication, may require the permission of the copyright holder.
Copyright
Status
Copyright protected
Availability
Status
Open
Reason
Permission or license
RightsEvent
Type
Permission or license
AssociatedObject
Type
License
Name
Multiple author license v. 1
Detail
I hereby grant to Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (Rutgers) the non-exclusive right to retain, reproduce, and distribute the deposited work (Work) in whole or in part, in and from its electronic format, without fee. This agreement does not represent a transfer of copyright to Rutgers.Rutgers may make and keep more than one copy of the Work for purposes of security, backup, preservation, and access and may migrate the Work to any medium or format for the purpose of preservation and access in the future. Rutgers will not make any alteration, other than as allowed by this agreement, to the Work.I represent and warrant to Rutgers that the Work is my original work. I also represent that the Work does not, to the best of my knowledge, infringe or violate any rights of others.I further represent and warrant that I have obtained all necessary rights to permit Rutgers to reproduce and distribute the Work and that any third-party owned content is clearly identified and acknowledged within the Work.By granting this license, I acknowledge that I have read and agreed to the terms of this agreement and all related RUcore and Rutgers policies.
Back to the top

Technical

RULTechMD (ID = TECHNICAL1)
ContentModel
Manuscript
Back to the top
Version 8.3.13
Rutgers University Libraries - Copyright ©2020