Staff View
Nurse resources and surgical outcomes in elderly patients

Descriptive

TitleInfo
Title
Nurse resources and surgical outcomes in elderly patients
SubTitle
the role of the safety net
Name (type = personal)
NamePart (type = family)
Moosvi
NamePart (type = given)
Karen
NamePart (type = date)
1953-
DisplayForm
Karen Moosvi
Role
RoleTerm (authority = RULIB)
author
Name (type = personal)
NamePart (type = family)
Cimiotti
NamePart (type = given)
Jeannie P
DisplayForm
Jeannie P Cimiotti
Affiliation
Advisory Committee
Role
RoleTerm (authority = RULIB)
chair
Name (type = personal)
NamePart (type = family)
de Cordova
NamePart (type = given)
Pamela
DisplayForm
Pamela de Cordova
Affiliation
Advisory Committee
Role
RoleTerm (authority = RULIB)
internal member
Name (type = personal)
NamePart (type = family)
Gray Micelli
NamePart (type = given)
Deanna
DisplayForm
Deanna Gray Micelli
Affiliation
Advisory Committee
Role
RoleTerm (authority = RULIB)
internal member
Name (type = personal)
NamePart (type = family)
Boyer
NamePart (type = given)
Carol
DisplayForm
Carol Boyer
Affiliation
Advisory Committee
Role
RoleTerm (authority = RULIB)
outside member
Name (type = corporate)
NamePart
Rutgers University
Role
RoleTerm (authority = RULIB)
degree grantor
Name (type = corporate)
NamePart
Graduate School - Newark
Role
RoleTerm (authority = RULIB)
school
TypeOfResource
Text
Genre (authority = marcgt)
theses
OriginInfo
DateCreated (qualifier = exact)
2014
DateOther (qualifier = exact); (type = degree)
2014-10
Place
PlaceTerm (type = code)
xx
CopyrightDate (encoding = w3cdtf)
2014
Language
LanguageTerm (authority = ISO639-2b); (type = code)
eng
Abstract (type = abstract)
Background: Hip fracture is common in older adults and often requires surgical intervention. Co-management of these patients by geriatricians and orthopedic surgeons has been linked to better outcomes; however, little is known about the allocation of nurse resources and the quality of care in elderly surgical patients. Objective: Examine the allocation of nurse resources in safety net hospitals and non-safety net hospitals and the association between nurse resources and outcomes in elderly patients admitted for surgical repair of hip fracture. Outcomes of interest included in-hospital-mortality, length of stay (LOS) and prolonged length of stay (PLOS). Methods: Retrospective study of all patients 65 years of age and older (n = 10,686) admitted to New Jersey acute care hospitals from January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2011 for surgical repair of hip fracture. Data were from New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey Hospital Association, State Inpatient Database, American Nurses Credentialing Center and Hospital Alliance of New Jersey. Data were merged and examined using descriptive and inferential statistics. Results: There was no difference in allocation of nurse resources in safety net and non-safety net hospitals. Patients admitted to safety net hospitals had a 44% increase in odds of in-hospital mortality (p = 0.004), 9% increase in LOS (p = 0.06) and 51% increase in odds of PLOS (p = 0.041). Each additional hour of registered nurse care per patient day was associated with a 1% decrease in LOS (p = 0.058) and 9% decrease in the odds of prolonged length of stay (PLOS) (p = 0.012). Magnet accreditation moderated the effect of skill mix and was associated with a 33% decrease in odds of in-hospital mortality (p = 0.059), 67% decrease in LOS (p = 0.000), 99% decrease in odds of PLOS (p = 0.001). Magnet accreditation moderated the effect of registered nurse hours per patient day and was associated with a 53% increase in odds of PLOS (p = 0.001). Conclusion: Hospital safety net status and availability of nurse resources are associated with the quality of care in elderly patients admitted for surgical repair of hip fracture.
Subject (authority = RUETD)
Topic
Nursing
Subject (authority = ETD-LCSH)
Topic
Geriatric nursing
Subject (authority = ETD-LCSH)
Topic
Older people--Surgery
Subject (authority = ETD-LCSH)
Topic
Postoperative care
RelatedItem (type = host)
TitleInfo
Title
Rutgers University Electronic Theses and Dissertations
Identifier (type = RULIB)
ETD
Identifier
ETD_5705
PhysicalDescription
Form (authority = gmd)
electronic resource
InternetMediaType
application/pdf
InternetMediaType
text/xml
Extent
1 online resource (ix, 123 p. : ill.)
Note (type = degree)
Ph.D.
Note (type = bibliography)
Includes bibliographical references
Note (type = vita)
Includes vita
Note (type = statement of responsibility)
by Karen Moosvi
RelatedItem (type = host)
TitleInfo
Title
Graduate School - Newark Electronic Theses and Dissertations
Identifier (type = local)
rucore10002600001
Location
PhysicalLocation (authority = marcorg); (displayLabel = Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey)
NjNbRU
Identifier (type = doi)
doi:10.7282/T3QN68FK
Genre (authority = ExL-Esploro)
ETD doctoral
Back to the top

Rights

RightsDeclaration (ID = rulibRdec0006)
The author owns the copyright to this work.
RightsHolder (type = personal)
Name
FamilyName
Moosvi
GivenName
Karen
Role
Copyright Holder
RightsEvent
Type
Permission or license
DateTime (encoding = w3cdtf); (qualifier = exact); (point = start)
2014-06-05 11:17:54
AssociatedEntity
Name
karen moosvi
Role
Copyright holder
Affiliation
Rutgers University. Graduate School - Newark
AssociatedObject
Type
License
Name
Author Agreement License
Detail
I hereby grant to the Rutgers University Libraries and to my school the non-exclusive right to archive, reproduce and distribute my thesis or dissertation, in whole or in part, and/or my abstract, in whole or in part, in and from an electronic format, subject to the release date subsequently stipulated in this submittal form and approved by my school. I represent and stipulate that the thesis or dissertation and its abstract are my original work, that they do not infringe or violate any rights of others, and that I make these grants as the sole owner of the rights to my thesis or dissertation and its abstract. I represent that I have obtained written permissions, when necessary, from the owner(s) of each third party copyrighted matter to be included in my thesis or dissertation and will supply copies of such upon request by my school. I acknowledge that RU ETD and my school will not distribute my thesis or dissertation or its abstract if, in their reasonable judgment, they believe all such rights have not been secured. I acknowledge that I retain ownership rights to the copyright of my work. I also retain the right to use all or part of this thesis or dissertation in future works, such as articles or books.
Copyright
Status
Copyright protected
Availability
Status
Open
Reason
Permission or license
Back to the top

Technical

RULTechMD (ID = TECHNICAL1)
ContentModel
ETD
OperatingSystem (VERSION = 5.1)
windows xp
Back to the top
Version 8.3.13
Rutgers University Libraries - Copyright ©2021